Born in 1959, Lima, Peru. He has been ranked in “The Most Powerful Lawyer in Peru” in 2002, according to the Survey of Power conducted by Semana Económica and ranked in the same survey in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2014.
- Attorney-at-Law - Pontificia Catholic University of Peru (1984);
- Postgraduate studies at Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, Netherlands (1990)
- Specialisation in human rights, University of Salamanca (1995)
- He has been an advisor to various commissions of the Congress of the Republic
- President of PROETICA, a civil society organisation for the fight against corruption
- Former Senior Official of the Institutional Integrity Office of the World Bank (2004–2006)
- Member of the Peruvian delegation convened to the Discussion Session of the American Convention of Mechanisms of the Organization of American States against Corruption (Buenos Aires, 2001)
- Ad hoc solicitor of the Republic of Peru in several corruption cases in Peru: Fujimori-Montesinos (2000–2002), INABIF (1997), CLAE (1994), Zanatti (1993–1994)
- Consultant to the World Bank;
- External adviser to the Episcopal Commission for Social Action (CEAS) for human rights cases (1989–1991)
- External consultant to the Dutch Organisations HIVOS and NOVIB for human rights assessment missions in Costa Rica and Sri Lanka (1990–1991)
- Human Rights Officer for the United Nations Peace Mission inEl Salvador (ONUSAL) (1993)
- Member of the United Nations Election Observer Mission for El Salvador (1993);
- Chairman of the Commission on Complaints against Magistrates and Justice Assistants of the Lima Bar Association (1994–1995)
- Member of several commissions for the reform of the Administration of Justice, the Criminal Procedure Code and the Penintentiary Policy
- Co-author of the Act against Torture; senior officer of the Office of Institutional Integrity of the World Bank (2004–2006).
- Partner at Benites, Vargas & Ugaz since 1992.
- Professor of distinguished universities in Peru and author of several articles on criminal law. Exhibitor at different events of corruption and money laundering.
Practice areas: criminal law, litigation.
This is part of a professional notice: all recommended firms are invited, but not required, to supply a professional notice and partner profiles, which are published in return for a fee.