José Rafael is a partner in Consortium Legal – Honduras. With 25 years of experience in the banking, financial and corporate sectors, he also specialises in economic analysis of law with a focus on corporate finance, having studied his master’s degree at the University of Chicago, United States, as a Fulbright scholar (LLM, 2000). His areas of practice also include commercial law, insurance law, agency and distribution law, franchise law, trademarks, patents, copyright, antitrust, civil and commercial litigation, commercial arbitration and administrative law. He is a commercial arbitrator appointed by the Center for Conciliation and Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce and Industries of Tegucigalpa, where he has presided over arbitration tribunals. Throughout his career he has been the contact attorney for local, multinational and foreign companies, banks and financial institutions, mainly for foreign investment, financial, corporate and commercial law matters.
In 2005, he was named one of the 40 most influential lawyers under the age of 40 in Central America by Latin Lawyer magazine. He studied law at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras, where he received his degree summa cum laude, as the best average in the entire university.
- He has counseled multiple multinational and international financial institutions as Administrative Agents, Collateral Agents and Sole Lead Arrangers in loans and syndicated loans for the financing of operations in Honduras and Central America.
- Advised SABMiller and AB InBev on all antitrust issues and clearance in the acquisition of the biggest beer company and soft drink bottler in Honduras, in the country’s biggest acquisition deal in 2016.
- Master’s degree in law (Fulbright scholar), University of Chicago, United States (2000)
- Lawyer and notary public, Corte Suprema de Justicia, Honduras (1999)
- Bachelor of Science in Law and Social Sciences (summa cum laude), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras (UNAH), Honduras (1994).
Languages Spanish, English
Member of Honduran Bar Association
Member of International Bar Association (IBA)
Member of the board of directors of several Honduran companies.