Gustavo is a partner of Consortium Legal - Honduras. With 25 years of experience in the financial sector, he specialises in banking practice, regulatory matters, commercial contracts, and litigation and arbitration. He has a special emphasis in corporate and consumer credit counseling, advising local and international financial institutions in the regulatory field; with extensive experience in local credit operations, local and cross-border banking and credit operations, including the structuring of guarantees for syndicated loans, project finance, as well as diverse commercial companies in all areas of commercial contracting, public and private construction contracts, investments, free trade agreements, bilateral and multilateral investment treaties, public-private partnerships and concessions. He has an extensive practice in the area of litigation and arbitration, being part of the first class of arbitrators certified by the Chamber of Commerce and Industries of Tegucigalpa and is currently an arbitrator for Honduras before the Inter-American Commission of Commercial Arbitration (CIAC). He has been a part of multiple local and international arbitrations including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- External legal adviser in regulatory matters of different institutions of the national financial system from 1995 to date.
- Trainer of the Honduran Association of Banking Institutions in regulatory matters.
- Legal adviser to GE Capital in the acquisition of Banco Mercantil, SA.
- Consultant for AHIBA in the drafting and approval of the Credit Card Law in 2003.
- External Legal Advisor to the Central American Bank for Economic Integration.
- External Legal Advisor of Banco de Honduras (Citibank, NA) since 2003.
- Master’s of Business Law, Suffolk Law School, United States
- Postgraduate in law in the area of International Business, Georgetown University and the Central American Institute of Business Administration INCAE, United States
- Law degree, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras UNAH, Honduras (1994).
Languages Spanish, English
Honduran Bar Association
Notary Certificate of the Comptroller of Notaries of the Republic of Honduras
Certified Arbitrator of the Conciliation and Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce and Industries of Tegucigalpa
Arbitrator for Honduras of the Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission (CIAC)
Member of the Central American Leadership Initiative (CALI) of the Aspen Institute
Member of the board of directors of United Way Honduras (until 2013)
Member of the board of directors of Operación Sonrisa Honduras
Legal Vice President of the Operation Smile Foundation in Honduras
Member of the board of trustees of the Escuela Agricola Panamericana “El Zamorano”.