Mijares, Angoitia, Cortés y Fuentes, SC was established in Mexico City in 1994 by a team of highly qualified lawyers focused on offering highly professional, sophisticated and quality legal services to satisfy its clients’ business needs. Today, as a leading firm in the Mexican market, its level of expertise is well recognised in most of its practice areas and its lawyers have been recognised by the most prestigious publications worldwide. Deeply committed to quality and responsiveness, the firm has consolidated its status as one of the pre-eminent Mexican full-service law firms.
As the firm has gradually grown, it has attracted professionals with significant experience in the public, industrial and financial sectors creating a team with the highest level of professional experience. Most of its lawyers and other professionals have completed graduate studies at foreign universities and have worked at law firms abroad; giving them a better perspective on international legal systems.
The firm has broad experience in the international arena. Its work represents a balanced mix of foreign and local workload regularly advising clients on sophisticated cross-border transactions.
The firm is part of Taxand, a global network of independent tax firms with more than 400 tax partners and over 2,000 tax advisers in over 40 countries for the provision of international tax services. The firm is also a founding member of Affinitas, an alliance of Latin American law firms that includes Barros & Errázuriz Abogados in Chile, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados in Colombia and Miranda & Amado in Peru.
Main areas of practice
The firm started out as a financial, securities and M&A legal boutique and has since then developed very solid practices in antitrust, arbitration, banking and finance, corporate criminal liability and compliance, energy, environmental, intellectual property, labour and employment, litigation, mergers & acquisitions, project finance, real estate, regulatory finance, securities, sports and entertainment, private equity, tax, telecommunications, gaming and aviation law.
Latest awards and nominations
Mijares has been recognised for several years as a Top Tier Firm by the most important publications. Awards include:
- 2018: Winners of Mexico’s Corporate Law Firm of the Year by International Financial Law Review (IFLR), Winner of the Restructuring Deal of the Year by IFLR European Awards (Abengoa), Winner of the Latin America Solar Deal of the Year by IJ Global (Solem Solar PV Complex), Winner of the Latin America Power Deal of the Year by IJ Global (Norte III), Winner of the Project Finance Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer (Norte III), Winners of the Antitrust Law Firm of the Year in Mexico by Corporate Intl Global Awards.
- 2017: Winner of Restructuring of the Year - SunEdison and Equity Follow-On of the Year – Ienova’s Follow on Offering - by Latin Finance.
- 2016: Winner of IPO of the Year – Nemak – by Latin Finance.
- 2016: Winner of Deal of the Quarter by Transactional Track Record (TTR) – Gasoductos de Chihuahua.
- 2016: Winner of Best Real Estate Law Firm-Mexico by Build News.
- 2016: Winner of the Client Service Award by Chambers and Partners.
- 2015: First place in the rankings for Mexico by Latin Lawyer in terms of participation in the most significant cases of M&As.
- 2015: Winner of Capital Markets Deal of the Year by Latin Finance.
- 2015: Deal of the Quarter (OPI) by TTR.
- 2014: Winner for M&A Deal of the Year Award – Grupo Modelo – by Latin Lawyer.
- 2014: Winner for M&A Deal of the Year – Eutelsat – by The American Lawyer.
- 2014: Nominated for the Mexican Law Firm of the Year by Chambers and Partners.
- 2014: Nominated as Law Firm of the Year by Chambers and Partners.
- 2013: Latin America Tax Disputes Firm of the Year – International Tax Review.
- 2013: TTR lists Mijares, Angoitia, Cortes y Fuentes as leader in M&A.
- 2013: Winner of the M&A Deal of the Year Award by Latin Lawyer.
- 2012: Winner for the third time of Mexican Firm of the Year by International Financial Law Review.