Mijares, Angoitia, Cortés y Fuentes, SC was established in Mexico City in 1994 by a team of highly qualified lawyers focused on offering highly professional, sophisticated and quality legal services to satisfy its clients’ business needs. Today, as a leading firm in the Mexican market, its level of expertise is well recognised in most of its practice areas and its lawyers have been recognised by the most prestigious publications worldwide. Deeply committed to quality and responsiveness, the firm has consolidated its status as one of the pre-eminent Mexican full-service law firms.
As the firm has gradually grown, it has attracted professionals with significant experience in the public, industrial and financial sectors creating a team with the highest level of professional experience. Most of its lawyers and other professionals have completed graduate studies at foreign universities and have worked at law firms abroad; giving them a better perspective on international legal systems.
The firm has broad experience in the international arena. Its work represents a balanced mix of foreign and local workload regularly advising clients on sophisticated cross-border transactions.
The firm is part of Taxand, a global network of independent tax firms with more than 400 tax partners and over 2,000 tax advisers in over 40 countries for the provision of international tax services. The firm is also a founding member of Affinitas, an alliance of Latin American law firms that includes Barros & Errázuriz Abogados in Chile, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados in Colombia and Miranda & Amado in Peru.
Main areas of practice
The firm started out as a financial, securities and M&A legal boutique and has since then developed very solid practices in antitrust, arbitration, banking and finance, energy, environmental, intellectual property, labour and employment, litigation, mergers & acquisitions, project finance, real estate, regulatory finance, securities, sports and entertainment, private equity, tax, telecommunications, gaming and aviation law.
Latest awards and nominations
Mijares has been recognised for several years as a Top Tier Firm by the most important publications. Awards include:
- 2017: Winners of “Restructuring of the Year” - SunEdison and “Equity Follow-On of the Year” – Ienova’s Follow on Offering - by Latin Finance.
- 2016: Winners of “IPO of the Year” – Nemak – by Latin Finance.
- 2016: Winners of “Deal of the Quarter” by Transactional Track Record (TTR) – Gasoductos de Chihuahua.
- 2016: Winners of “Best Real Estate Law Firm-Mexico” by Build News.
- 2016: Winners of “Client Service Award” by Chambers and Partners.
- 2015: First place in the rankings for Mexico by Latin Lawyer in terms of participation in the most significant cases of M&As.
- 2015: Winners of “Capital Markets Deal of the Year” by Latin Finance.
- 2015: “Deal of the Quarter” (OPI) by TTR.
- 2014: Winners for ‘M&A Deal of the Year Award’ – Grupo Modelo – by Latin Lawyer.
- 2014: Winners for ‘M&A Deal of the Year” – Eutelsat – by The American Lawyer.
- 2014: Nominated for the ‘Mexican Law Firm of the Year’ by Chambers and Partners.
- 2014: Nominated as ‘Law Firm of the Year’ by Chambers and Partners.
- 2013: Latin America Tax Disputes Firm of the Year – International Tax Review.
- 2013: TTR lists Mijares, Angoitia, Cortes y Fuentes as leader in M&A.
- 2013: Winners of the “M&A Deal of the Year Award” by Latin Lawyer.
- 2012: Winners for the third time of "Mexican Firm of the Year” by International Financial Law Review.