We are a full-service law firm that was founded in 1956. Since our founding, one of our most basic principles is the careful selection of new lawyers, allowing us to maintain the level of excellence for which we have become known.
We have chosen to gradually increase our number of partners and associates to allow for organic growth over our 60-year history. This has enabled us to broaden the areas in which we work.
We organise our work teams to meet our clients’ needs, based on the nature of each case and each lawyer’s individual abilities.
Because of the full range of services we offer and the quality of our lawyers, at Motta Fernandes we provide excellence in legal services in a wide range of areas, including in cases involving highly complex issues.
We have offices in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, as well as correspondents throughout Brazil and abroad. This allows us to provide the services required for a wide range of transactions and legal needs.
We currently represent domestic and foreign clients in a variety of business areas, including capital markets, banking and financial services, automobiles, aeronautics, construction, energy, petroleum and gas, real estate and technology, among others.
Main areas of practice
Our aeronautics group works in all areas related to aviation (civil, commercial and military) and related matters.
Banking/finance/structured transactions and investment funds
Our lawyers are trained to advise Brazilian and international companies in securitisation, project finance and trade finance transactions, banking products and services and the establishment of banking institutions.
Our lawyers act intensively before the Brazilian Securities Commission (CVM), and the Brazilian Central Bank, allowing us to resolve highly complex cases. Our clients include financial institutions, investors, private equity funds, asset managers and hedge funds.
Our environmental team has an extensive experience in infrastructure projects as well as in large industries, solving problems in a creative and effective way. Among the services our environmental team provides to our clients, are:
- Assistance in environmental licensing processes and review of environmental studies, including support in public hearings.
- Survey, analysis and evaluation of environmental liabilities.
- Audit of Environmental and Regulatory Compliance.
- Due diligence in processes of financing, merger, incorporation and acquisition of companies or assets.
- Negotiation with environmental agencies and the Public Prosecutor’s Office, including advice on the drafting or review of conduct adjustment terms (TAC).
- Follow-up of implementation of enterprises for legal compliance and fulfillment of conditions.
- Acting in administrative proceedings arising from infraction notices or civil investigations of the Public Prosecutor’s Office, as well as in environmental lawsuits.
- Legal support in environmental auditing for certification and compliance with ISO 14000 series standards and in the implementation of an environmental management system (EMS).
- Legal analysis of draft laws and resolutions, as well as contributions to the minutes for discussion in CONAMA, CONAMA, Ministry of the Environment, Ministry of Energy and CONASQ.
- Negotiation of environmental clauses in national and international financial contracts.
- Assistance in environmental and regulatory issues related to controlled substances and chemicals (ANVISA, Army, Federal Police, Civil Police).
The environmental team has awards and recognitions, both national and international, and is recognised as one of the most admired attorneys in Brazil by the ranking of the magazine Analysis 500.
Our litigation and arbitration lawyers have broad experience, strategic vision and the ability to manage complex disputes involving a wide range of issues in court or arbitration.
Mergers and acquisitions
Our mergers and acquisitions area is frequently involved in important business transactions. Our team that works in this area is highly specialised and composed of extremely well-qualified lawyers with broad experience in Brazil and abroad.
We advise on complex transactions, including public and private acquisitions, tender offers, joint ventures, disinvestments, investments in private equity and other strategic transactions, providing legal advice.
Insurance and reinsurance
We have broad experience advising Brazilian and international clients in negotiations, litigation and arbitration concerning all types of insurance and reinsurance issues.
We are recognised for providing creative solutions to complex corporate law issues. We have done pioneering work in the creation and implementation of structures that have become benchmarks on the market. We provide legal advice to a significant number of publicly traded and closely held companies, especially regarding compliance with corporate law and applicable regulations.Rio de Janeiro
Av. Almirante Barroso, 52, 1302, Centro, CEP 20031-000
Tel: +55 21 2533 2200 / +55 21 3257 2200
Fax: +55 21 2262 2459São Paulo
Av. Pres. Juscelino Kubitschek, 1327
20th floor, CEP 04543-011
Tel: +55 11 3082 9398 / +55 11 2192 9300
Fax: +55 11 3082 3272