About the Author
José Humberto Frías is a partner in D’Empaire Reyna Abogados. He has participated in many of the most significant competition/antitrust cases in Venezuela in recent years, including his representation of:
- AT&T in its acquisition of Directv;
- BTG in its acquisition of Brazil Telecom Venezuela;
- Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM) in connection with the regulatory approvals for the sale of Corporation Digitel to Telvenco;
- United Airlines in an investigation brought by the Venezuelan travel agencies’ association against the major carriers operating in Venezuela;
- Procter & Gamble in its acquisition of Gillette; and
- the Coca-Cola Company in the formation of a joint venture company with the Cisneros Group.
José Humberto Frías is considered one of the best competition/antitrust lawyers in Venezuela by PLC Which Lawyer and has been consistently ranked top by Chambers Latin America.
He has also represented international and Venezuelan clients in arbitrations under several rules systems and arbitral institutions, including the International Chamber of Commerce.
Before joining D’Empaire Reyna, he worked with the Venezuelan antitrust authority (Procompetencia). He also worked as a foreign associate at the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in 2001. José Humberto Frías studied law at Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, Caracas (JD 1993) and received an LLM from McGill University, Montreal (2000). He is fluent in Spanish and English.