Last chance to nominate for Latin Lawyer Individual Awards
The deadline for firms to submit nominations for Latin Lawyer's Individual Awards is today.
We're inviting firms to submit nominations for awards recognising the achievements of leading lawyers from across Latin America, as well as important pro bono and diversity initiatives, all of which will be presented at our annual charity awards ceremony next year.
We recognise the achievements of practitioners in areas such as law firm leadership, diversity and pro bono at our awards ceremony, which will take place in São Paulo on 7 May 2020 and is held in aid of pro bono clearing houses from across Latin America.
To put forward an individual or initiative for consideration for any of the awards described below, simply click on the category to be taken to the relevant survey.
We will present the following awards:
- Law Firm Leader of the Year Award, recognising a law firm leader displaying exceptional leadership skills and strategic vision. The award is intended to recognise a law firm managing partner who has successfully implemented systems of management that strengthen the institutional framework of their firms and safeguard their future, positioning their firms at the top of their market. The chosen winner must be a law firm leader – ie, a managing partner or part of a firm’s executive management committee. We do not consider nominations for practice group leaders or partners who are not part of a firm’s senior management.
- Specialist Law Firm Leader of the Year Award, recognising the leader of a boutique firm that demonstrates excellence in its field. The award is intended to recognise the managing partner of a firm focused on one area of expertise, which has achieved top tier status in their market. The chosen winner must be a law firm leader – ie, a managing partner or part of a firm’s executive management committee. We do not consider nominations for practice group leaders or partners who are not part of a firm’s senior management.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, applauding lawyers who over the course of their careers have made an outstanding contribution to the practice of law in Latin America. This award is intended to recognise senior lawyers who have been practising law for many years. They have either been a law firm partner for a considerable amount of time, or have recently retired from the partnership to take on a senior counsel role or similar. It takes into account individuals’ achievements and wider contributions to the practice of law in their country over their lifetime.
- International Lawyer of the Year Award, in recognition of a law firm partner from an international firm with a strong presence in Latin America who has built a leading profile through their work in the region. This award is intended to recognise partners working for international law firms (as opposed to Latin American ones) with a strong profile in the region, demonstrated by their visibility on important and high-profile deals and cases, as well as their work with top-tier local firms in Latin America.
We will also give awards to pro bono and diversity initiatives:
- Diversity Initiative of the Year Award, recognising law firms’ innovative efforts to promote diversity and equal opportunity, both in their firms and in the wider legal market. We give precedence to initiatives that use innovative and forward-thinking measures to bring about a big impact in the promotion of diversity, setting precedents for others to follow. The initiative must be able to demonstrate a significant, positive impact on the promotion of equal opportunities for all.
- Pro Bono Project of the Year Award, in recognition of a pro bono case or initiative that brings access to justice to those who don’t have the means to pay for it. For example, by providing free legal services to the poor or to the organisations that assist them, or working on matters of public interest on a pro bono basis. We give precedence to those cases or initiatives that have a big impact, bettering the lives of many people or establishing new precedents for others to follow.
- Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year Award, in recognition of a law firm’s outstanding commitment to building an institutional pro bono practice. This award is intended to recognise law firms that have implemented internal structures to ensure pro bono work is carried out, for example by having a pro bono coordinator or by making it mandatory for each lawyer to do a certain number of pro bono hours per year. We recognise firms that have been able to make a significant contribution to helping the poor and needy as a result of having these structures in place.
The Law Firm Leader and Specialist Law Firm Leader Awards are presented to leaders of law firms in Latin America practising local law. Each year, we present two Lifetime Achievement Awards to private practice practitioners in Latin America or from the region’s international legal community. Anyone can make nominations for the diversity initiative and pro bono project awards, provided there is a strong link to Latin America and lawyers practising local law in the region are involved. The Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year Award will be presented to a law firm in Latin America practising local law.
We accept self-nominations. Firms can also nominate each other. Each nominee can make one nomination per category. The nomination period runs until Friday 6 December. We will announce the winners in our daily news briefing in January. For more information, contact us at email@example.com.
The nomination period for our Deal of the Year Awards will open in December. Find out more at our website’s awards page.