Thomas Benes Felsberg is the founding partner of Felsberg Advogados and is a global reference in the area of bankruptcy and company restructuring. He has taught International Private Law at the University of São Paulo.
Thomas Felsberg is Brazilian consultant to the World Bank in the area of insolvency and credit rights, having contributed, together with the IMF, to the ‘Global Insolvency Law Database’ (GILD) and ‘Reports on the Observance of Standards and Codes’ (ROSC) projects. He is recognized by publications such as ‘Latin Lawyer’ and ‘Chambers’ as Brazil’s leading insolvency lawyer. He formed part of the committees responsible for development of the current bankruptcy and company restructuring law.
In addition to his work relating to insolvency and debt restructuring, Thomas Felsberg plays an important role as an arbiter with important arbitration chambers both in Brazil and overseas, whilst he is a member of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), the ‘Federação das Indústrias do Estado de São Paulo’ (‘São Paulo State Federation of Industries / FIESP) and the ‘Centro de Estudos das Sociedade de Advogados’ (‘Attorneys’ Society Study Center’ / ‘CESA’), and is President of the Columbia University Club of Brazil.
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB) in 1966 – OAB/SP.
- Sole Brazilian member of the American College of Bankruptcy;
- First Brazilian member of the International Insolvency Institute;
- Affiliated to INSOL International and other Brazilian and international organizations;
- Founding member and ex-President of the Board of ‘The Turnaround Management Association of Brazil’ (‘TMA Brazil’).
- Graduate of the University of São Paulo.
- Masters Degree (LLM) from Columbia University.